Writers write for many reasons and in many ways.
I use writing as a process of self-awareness and self-discovery.
What do I mean by ‘writing for process’?
- It is free flow unfiltered writing
- It is simply writing what is within you, your thoughts, emotions and voices
- It is a journey deeper into self
- Its allowing the thoughts in your head to be written down unfettered
- It is simply getting everything that is circling and thrashing within to come out
- It is about writing to reveal
- It is writing to become aware of what is going on within me that maybe getting in the way
- It is writing through ones heart, not head. So that the way becomes clearer and is less interfered with my human needs and limitations.
- It is writing as a channel for the best version of self to come forth
- It is writing to become aware of the next steps to take
It is a way of:
- Connecting with who I am
- Of Understanding me better and what makes me tick
- coming fact to face with my own falsities
- Revealing parts of me that have been unconscious
It is where there is:
- No set destination
- No pre-determined outcome
- No parameters
- No timeframe
- No formatting or editing
- No right or wrong
- No spelling correction
My head gets so full. Thoughts thrashing around. Which way is up? Sometimes I don’t know. I feel engulfed by my emotions and feelings. Where am I in all of this? So much internal noise. It keeps me stuck constrained blocked and confused.
Where am ‘I’ in all of this? How do I find ‘me’ in amongst the distraction? I know the space I seek. It is within me. It is a still point in my centre. Not a human physical centre but a place within me, from which all comes forth. It is a centre, a portal a way through to my eternalness. It is the place from which I connect to me, the planet, to creative source, to soul as spirit. It gets clouded by the chitter chatter, the busyness of life and by my own ignorance.
Whilst I do my best to ignore its existence it is the place that the answers lie. It’s the way. It’s the point from my which I live. Its where I listen and hear the whisper of the universe, its where the guidance awaits. I just need to be stop, be still, listen, receive and act.
How do we reach this place? For me writing as a process takes me to this place.
- Create the space so you won’t be disturbed
- Gather your tools
- laptop (I suggest you don’t use a laptop, if you want to turn autocorrect and spell checker ‘off’)
- pen and paper
- Turn off your phone and laptop (if you are not using it)
- Remove all distraction
- Light a candle
- Create a sacred ritual for communion
Whatever works and simply ask …
- What is it that needs to come out?
- What is it I need to hear?
- What is going on within me?
- What can’t I see? What do I need to see?
Ask the questions and wait. It may take a while for words to come. But be ready for when they do. You are the scribe of your heart and head. You are the channel from which this comes forth. Allow.
You may need to build trust with yourself. This can be a vulnerable and intimate process. Be gentle don’t force build trust. Hold the compassion for yourself. In some moments bucket loads will come out , in others maybe just one or two sentences. Whatever comes is right for that moment.
So ask, listen and write. When it stops simply ask “what else?” and repeat the process. You are entering another layer, going deeper in.
And repeat, layer after layer, deeper and deeper in to that still point. Your centre from which your creativity, your inspiration, your delicious way comes forth. ‘She’ is there waiting.
When you seek an answer go inward. Write your way.
It’s about reading to review and gain insight.
By writing it out what will be revealed to you?
What to do with what is revealed?
- You can read it back and take out the pearls. Take them. Review. Reflect. Leg go.
- Write a new script, one from your heart.
- You can burn it through ritual and let it go with gratitude
- You can rip it up and throw it out.
- You can use it as a guide of what to look out for.
If you choose to read it back, do so with compassion. The truth is within if you want to hear it. You don’t need to keep the writings. It’s about clearing your head so your heart can be heard. Judging what you write will only block the process. You need to create a safe and nurturing space from which you can hear the voices in your heart.
Then ask yourself these questions
- Who are these voices?
- Is it your voice or that of another?
- Is it an old parameter? Lens? Filter?
- Is it an outdated condition that is in the way?
- Where are my limitations?
- What stories am I telling me about myself? About my life?
- What am I playing like a broken record?
- What new voices/ scripts do I need to write now?
Work with your words. Move through the process. You will arrive at a new place. A place of less resistance, a place reflective of who you truly are.
Writing for process, to move through, to clear, to gain insight can take you deeper into you.
It is about connecting with the unconscious within and bringing it to light.